Whether or not you are pre-populating pre-plans, or site visits are not a possibility, screenshots from Google Street View can be a great way of remotely collecting valuable digital information. Using Street View, visual information that can help in a response can be quickly captured and added to a pre-plan. Such visual information could include the following:
- Building Sides
- Points of Entry
- Closest Hydrants
- Fire Department Connections
The easiest way to capture this imagery is by taking a screenshot while within the Google Maps iOS application (available here). The following instructions assume use of the aforementioned application.
Capturing a Screenshot in Google Maps Street View
- Open the Google Maps app
- In the search bar, enter the address for the desired location
- Tap Search
- In the search result, select the displayed street view to open the application into Street View
Note: On iPad, this result will be in the bar to the left while in landscape. In portrait on iPad, or on iPhone, this result will be accessible by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. The displayed street view appears with a little circular arrow upon it.
- In Street View, use swipe gestures and the provided blue navigation line to orient to the desired view
- To take a screenshot, press down the power button and the Home button simultaneously
Tip: For iOS devices without a Home button, a screenshot is captured by pressing the Power button and Volume Up button simultaneously.
Result: A shutter animation will confirm that the screenshot has been captured successfully. Repeat Step 1-6 for any additional Street View imagery.
Adding a Google Street View Screenshot to a Pre-plan
- Open SmartCapture to the desired pre-plan
- For the desired image field, tap the Camera button
- Tap Library
- In the Image Library, tap Screenshots
- Tap the desired screenshot
- In the displayed dialog box, enter an image name
- Tap OK
Result: The captured screenshot will be added to the selected image field. In the correct image fields, repeat Step 1-7 for any additional Street View imagery.